WELCOME TO MY SITE AND HAVE A GOOD DAY

Welcome to Las Vegas, Nevada- the Gambling Capital of US and the City that never sleeps! So, what has this city have to do with this site. The answer is none. I just love the photo, I took during our vacation to this city a couple of years ago. In this site, you will find articles from my autobiography, global warming, senior citizens issues, tourism, politics in PI, music appreciation and articles about our current experiences as retirees enjoying the "snow bird" lifestyle between US and the Philippines. Your comments will be highly appreciated. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringement of your copyrights. Cheers!

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

A Day at the Philippine Consulate in San Francisco


Yesterday, I was at the Philippine Consulate in San Francisco getting my signature authenticated and notarized for a Special Power of Attorney (SPA) documents for the Philippines. It was not a very bad experience as I expected based on what I read in the Internet. The actual time I was in the Consulate was from 10AM to 2PM with a 30 minutes lunch break. However, I spent the whole day for this, because of the horrendous traffic from Sacramento to San Francisco. I hired a personal driver and her car(135), paid the gas(40), tolls(11), lunch break(44) and Parking(18). My total cost was about $250.

We left Sacramento at 7AM via HW50. It took us 45 minutes to reach I-80 and we encountered another traffic jam at UC Davis, in spite of driving in the carpool lane. Traffic was smooth until we reached the Pinole area. It took us another 45 minutes to cross the Oakland/SFO bridge. We arrived at the consulate at 10AM. While my driver was parking I formed my line at the guard to present 2 ID's before I was allowed to the 2nd floor of the Consulate Building at 447 Sutter Street. You have to take a number prior to your entry to the office. Since I am a Senior Citizen I got a C number( 67) supposed to be a courtesy number and separated from the general public. C numbers are given to Senior citizens, the Handicapped, pregnant women and women with small children. I love this idea.

There were 5 other senior Citizens ahead of me. While waiting for my turn, I got to "small talk" to three other seniors. We talk about the traffic, paper work required, the Internet and about dual citizenships. Two of them came from Stockton and the other from Fairfield. One of the senior citizens needs her passport renewed and did not have her paper work. I told them the forms are available for download at the Consulate web site. The other senior commented, so you are one of those rare seniors who uses the Internet! I smiled without any comment.

I went out of the waiting room and found out that most of the forms are available in front of the Office, but you need to have it copied. The Consulate has a Copy Machine that charge 0.25c per copy using quarters and one dollar bills.

I waited for another 30 minutes until my number was called. My SPA papers were examined, dated and I provided 6 copies of my driver license as my ID, indicating that I personally appeared at the Consulate on September 18, 2018. I was out and ready for the Cashier on the 6th Floor by around 11:45AM. I had 4 SPA's notarized and each SPA cost $25. I was told the documents will be ready for pickup from 1 to 2PM. By this time the lines were overflowing the waiting room area was full and dozens of seniors are now in the Hallways. I am glad I came early.

My personal driver and I had a leisurely lunch at a restaurant two blocks from the Consulate Building. It was a very expensive lunch costing me $44 plus $8 tip.

After lunch I decided to go back to the Consulate, since I needed information and forms for Dual citizenship for my son, who was born here in the US. He was born before we become US citizens. Is he qualified to apply? The forms for Dual Citizenship in the web applies to those originally born in the Philippines and need to reacquire their citizenship.

I look around for a Consulate employee with authority. I found one supervising the examining clerks at the counters. I know he is a Supervisor and may be able to give me my answer and the correct forms. I was correct. The supervisor gave me 2 forms not found in the web as follows:

1. Affidavit of Delayed Registration of Birth
2. Report of Birth

Supporting Documents that my son needed are: His birth Certificate, Our Naturalization Papers and Marriage Certificate. Our Naturalization Papers will show that we were still Filipino Citizens when he was born. Now I know that all my 4 children are eligible for Filipino dual citizenships if they want it. For Benefits and Advantages of dual citizenship read:

https://lifeinus1960present.blogspot.com/2013/06/advantages-of-dual-citizenship-phl-and.html


The above information was useful. I also learned that all dual citizens application is by appointment only beginning last September 4.

At 1PM, I went to the Releasing Documents Window to give my pick-up stub. It was at 1:50PM that my name was called and all the 4 SPA's were done. My driver and I hurriedly went to the Union Square Parking Garage, so we could get out of the city before the afternoon rush hour starts. We arrived in Sacramento around 5PM, accomplished but very tired. My legs were starting to cramp for seating in the car for almost three hours each way. Thank you to my personal driver. You were a good driver and I will ride with you anytime without fear.

All in All, my experience at the consulate was not bad at all. Creating the Courtesy Line for Seniors is an excellent idea. The clerk that checked my papers was friendly and helpful. The supervisor that gave me the 2 forms for my son's dual citizenship application was formal and informative. If you have business with the Consulate come as early as you can: Office Hours: MF is from 9 to 4 PM.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...