WELCOME TO MY SITE AND HAVE A GOOD DAY

Welcome to Las Vegas, Nevada- the Gambling Capital of US and the City that never sleeps! So, what has this city have to do with this site. The answer is none. I just love the photo, I took during our vacation to this city a couple of years ago. In this site, you will find articles from my autobiography, global warming, senior citizens issues, tourism, politics in PI, music appreciation and articles about our current experiences as retirees enjoying the "snow bird" lifestyle between US and the Philippines. Your comments will be highly appreciated. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringement of your copyrights. Cheers!

Sunday, September 2, 2018

Call Me By My Name


I am not talking about the Oscar nominated movie with a similar title(Photo above). This article is about several names that I have been called and addressed, depending on who is addressing me. I arranged it from the most formal and to the least formal as follows:


1. Dr Katague: From My former professional peers in FDA, clients and regulatory officers from Pharmaceutical Companies all over the world


2. Sir David Katague or Sir David: From My former students from the University of the Philippines from 1956 to 1959. From Younger Readers/Followers of my blogs


3. Mr. Katague: From people I just meet in social functions and that I am not well acquainted with


4. David or Dave: Almost from all my friends, neighbors and distant relatives and most of my FaceBook friends


5. Kuya or Manong Dave: From closed relatives on both Macrine's and my side of the family

and lastly


6. Nonoy, Noy, or Nonoy Dave or Tito Nonoy : From my closed relatives from Iloilo, Philippines

My closed relatives-who call me Dad, Lolo, and Kuya or Uncle Dave.

Note: In some rare cases, I have been called other names, such as Hey you!, Husband of Macrine or Husband of the Patient, Father of Ditas etc...Someday, I would like to be called GrandPa or Lolo of CarennaKT.


Incidentally, when I was a graduate student in Chicago in the mid-1960's, a stranger once called me a coconut, and a Chinese immigrant.

Here's a list of ethnic slurs referring to Filipino-Americans. Not in this list is coconuts-brown outside but white inside-refers to second or third generations Filipino-Americans who acts just like a normal white Caucasian Americans but with Filipino skin and physical features.

www.rsdb.org/race/filipinos



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...