Sometimes, a simple gift can bring back precious memories and remind us of the goodness of people.
The other day, I received three different brands of OTAP as a gift in connection with our celebration of Filipino-American History Month here at The Heritage Downtown (THD), my home in Walnut Creek, California.
The three brands were Laura’s Buko-Pandan Flavored Otap, Magic Melt Ube Otap, and Angelina Otap. Seeing these Filipino delicacies brought a smile to my face and reminded me of my Filipino ancestry. More unexpectedly, this simple gift brought me back to several articles I wrote before the age of Artificial Intelligence about one of my favorite subjects: the kindness of friends and strangers.
At 91 and nearing 92, I have accumulated many memories during my journey through life. Some involve significant achievements in my career as a chemist, my years in the United States, and my adventures in the Philippines. Others involve seemingly ordinary encounters with people whose kindness left a lasting impression on me.
I have learned that kindness does not always come from the people we know well. Sometimes, it comes from a stranger who offers a helping hand, a friend who remembers us, or someone who takes a little time to make our day brighter.
Lessons from My Father: The Value of Talking to Strangers
In one of my earlier blog posts, My Father’s Lesson: The Value of Talking to Strangers, I recalled how my father taught us, through his example, the importance of greeting and talking to people.
During our trips between Barotac Viejo and Iloilo in the Philippines, I observed how naturally he interacted with people along the way. He did not treat every unfamiliar face as someone to avoid. Instead, he welcomed opportunities to exchange greetings and friendly conversations.
Looking back, I realize that my father was teaching us more than good manners. He was teaching us to recognize the humanity in other people.
A simple greeting can open the door to a conversation. A conversation can lead to friendship. And sometimes, a brief encounter with a stranger can become a memorable experience.
Of course, we must always exercise good judgment and be careful about whom we trust. But I believe we should not allow caution to eliminate the simple pleasures of being friendly and kind.
As I grow older, I appreciate this lesson even more.
The Importance of Kindness
Another subject I explored in my earlier writing was The Importance of Kindness.
Throughout my life, I have benefited from the generosity, encouragement, and friendship of many people. Teachers, colleagues, mentors, neighbors, friends, and even strangers have contributed in one way or another to the person I have become.
I cannot remember every kind act I have received, but I know that many of them helped me along the way.
My late wife, Macrine, and I also believed in reaching out to others. Our medical missions to Marinduque, Philippines, from 1999 to 2013 were among the meaningful experiences of our lives. Macrine often reminded me:
“You have not really lived if you have not touched the life of others.”
Those words remain with me today. They remind me that a meaningful life is not measured only by professional accomplishments, material possessions, or the number of years we live. It is also measured by the lives we touch and the kindness we leave behind.
At my present stage of life, I may no longer be able to do all the things I once did. Nevertheless, I can still share my experiences, encourage others through my writing, express gratitude, and appreciate the kindness of those around me.
OTAP: A Little Taste of the Philippines
For readers who may not be familiar with OTAP, it is a well-known Filipino pastry associated with Cebu. It is a thin, oval-shaped, flaky and crisp puff pastry, traditionally made with layers of dough and shortening, then coated with sugar.
Making OTAP requires care and patience. The dough is prepared, rolled, and folded to develop its characteristic layers. After shaping, the pastries are coated with sugar and baked until crisp and lightly golden. The result is a delicate, sweet pastry that can be enjoyed with coffee, tea, or as a snack.
The three varieties I received also reminded me of how Filipino food continues to evolve while preserving familiar traditions. Ube, or purple yam, is especially beloved in Filipino desserts. Buko-pandan combines the familiar flavors of young coconut and fragrant pandan.
For me, OTAP is more than a pastry. It represents a part of the culinary heritage that connects Filipinos living in the Philippines with those of us who have made our homes abroad.
Food has a special ability to connect generations. A familiar flavor can awaken memories of childhood, family gatherings, celebrations, and the people with whom we once shared our meals.
And sometimes, a box of pastries can remind us of something even more important: the kindness of the person who gave it to us.
Kindness at The Heritage Downtown
Since moving to The Heritage Downtown in June 2023, I have discovered that living in a senior community offers many opportunities to experience the generosity of others.
We share meals, participate in activities, exchange stories, and celebrate special occasions together. Although we come from different backgrounds and have lived very different lives, we have opportunities to learn from one another.
Our Filipino-American History Month celebration is one example. The gift of these three OTAP varieties was a thoughtful gesture that connected our celebration with Filipino culture and cuisine.
I was pleasantly surprised by the gift. More importantly, it reminded me that kindness does not have to be expensive or elaborate to be meaningful.
A small present, a sincere compliment, a friendly conversation, or a simple expression of appreciation can brighten someone's day.
I am grateful to the people who thought of sharing these Filipino treats with me. They may have intended only to offer a gift, but they also inspired me to revisit some of the lessons I have written about over the years.
Perhaps this is one of the wonderful things about kindness: it often travels farther than the giver realizes.
The person who receives a kind gesture may remember it, write about it, share it with others, and inspire still more acts of kindness.
A Reflection at 91
Looking back on my life, I realize that many of my most treasured memories are not necessarily associated with awards, degrees, promotions, or professional accomplishments.
Some are memories of people who were kind to me when they did not have to be.
My father's example taught me to be open to people. My wife, Macrine, taught me the importance of touching other lives. My friends, colleagues, and even strangers have reminded me repeatedly that goodness can appear in unexpected places.
Now, as a 91-year-old Filipino-American living at The Heritage Downtown, I continue to learn from these experiences.
I also continue to write. Before AI became part of my blogging routine, I wrote about kindness from my own observations and memories. Today, with the assistance of AI, I can revisit those themes, organize my thoughts, and share them with readers around the world. The technology may help me write, but the memories and the lessons remain mine.
I am reminded that we do not have to perform great deeds every day to make the world a better place. We can begin with a smile, a greeting, a listening ear, or a small gift given with a generous heart.
And who knows? A simple act of kindness today may become a cherished memory for someone tomorrow.
My closing thought:
At 91 and nearing 92, I have learned that kindness is a gift that never grows old. It costs little to give, means much to receive, and can remain in our hearts long after the moment has passed.
So, the next time you have an opportunity to greet a stranger, encourage a friend, or share something as simple as a piece of OTAP, remember that you may be giving more than you realize.
You may be giving someone a reason to smile and a memory worth writing about.
Finally, My Facts for the Day:



No comments:
Post a Comment