WELCOME TO MY SITE AND HAVE A GOOD DAY

Welcome to Las Vegas, Nevada- the Gambling Capital of US and the City that never sleeps! So, what has this city have to do with this site. The answer is none. I just love the photo, I took during our vacation to this city a couple of years ago. In this site, you will find articles from my autobiography, global warming, senior citizens issues, tourism, politics in PI, music appreciation and articles about our current experiences as retirees enjoying the "snow bird" lifestyle between US and the Philippines. Your comments will be highly appreciated. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on infringement of your copyrights. Cheers!

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Getting Divorce After 27 years of Marriage!



My daughter announced last week in FaceBook that she is getting a divorce from her husband of 27 years. I was so shocked my voice trembled as I told my wife of what I had just read in FB. My wife and I had no hint that her marriage had not been happy. We just visited them four weeks ago and stayed overnight and we did not see any signs of unhappiness in the house. We know they have financial problems, since they have no luck selling their house because of the depressed real estate market here in California. After recovering from the initial shock, I told my wife to call our daughter and tell her we support her decision and if there is anything we can help( except financially) to just let us know. My daughter has two adult children 20 and 18years old. They are both in college. The announcement( titled new Adventures) was simultaneously posted in FB by both my daughter and son-in-law. Today, my wife is still upset and asked me if it was her mistake/fault that our daughter is getting a divorce, that is we did not raised our children right. I responded definitely not and told her not blame herself of what is happening now in our daughter lives . This sad news however inspired me to do an Internet search on Divorce Statistics here in US. Here's what I found.

Divorce Statistics in America

Current divorce statistics in America is estimated at 50%.This data is not accurately correct, however, it is reasonably close to actual. The Americans for Divorce Reform estimates that "Probably, 40 or possibly even 50 percent of marriages will end in divorce if current trends continue.", which is actually a projection. *

Source of this Divorce Statistics: Jennifer Baker, Forest Institute of Professional Psychology,Springfield

The divorce rate in America for first marriage is 41%. The divorce rate in America for second marriage is 60%. The divorce rate in America for third marriage is 73%.
* Source of this Divorce Statistics: Discover Channel

Description Statistics

State with the lowest divorce rate Massachusetts (2.4 per 1,000 population)
State with the highest divorce rate Nevada (9.1 per 1,000 population)
Percentage of US population that is divorced 10%
Mean age at first divorce For Males: 30.5 yrs.
For Females: 29 yrs.
Median age at second divorce For Males: 39.3 yrs.
For Females: 37 yrs.
Median number of years people wait to remarry after their first divorce For Males: 3.3 yrs.
For Females: 3.1 yrs.
Average length of divorce proceedings 1 year.

* Source of this Divorce Statistics: Divorce Magazine

Note: My daughter says this is going to be an amicable divorce and they will continue to raise their two children as co-parents even though they are already adults. On another side note, I asked my wife of 54 years and 2 months, if there was a day in our marriage life that she felt like divorcing me. She replied never, but several times I feel like killing you! So, to all my readers that are still happily married, my advice is to share 100-100 not 50-50. 100-100 sharing means you accept your mate totally not only his strength but also his or her faults and weaknesses as well. There is no perfect human being. That we all agree!

My next posting on this subject will be a list of the most common reasons of divorce in US. Have a Good Day or Night to you All!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Based on your article it looks like the marriage is over after they publicly announced their new adventures. It might be too late in case they never sought counseling. It could have helped or delayed their decision, but for some couples it even improves the bond.

David B Katague said...

Dear Anonymous: I guess you are right that the marriage was over long before the announcement. The only good thing now is they are getting counseling to atttain an amicable divorce and continue their co-parenting to the their two offsprings. I still can not believe it though. My daughter has never showed us signs when we are socializing with them, although I had observed one trait that my son-in-law had, that my daughter does not like. Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...